Bill is a regular speaker and author on topics covering a broad range of industries and topics including oil & gas, wind power, industrial chemicals, and theories of litigation. He has written more than 15 articles on the subject of horizontal drilling, and co-taught a class at Cornell University concerning the positions of various stakeholders on different sides of the fracking debate.
Mr. Ruskin also participated in an interactive panel at the IADC on hydrofracking where he presented his paper, “Shale Oil and Gas Development: The Stakeholder Perspective.”
- “Uranium Mines, Old and New, Fuel Litigation,” Bloomberg Law (January 18, 2018). Mr. Ruskin provides insight into the multi-billion dollar CERCLA cleanup liability for mining operators at hundreds of long-abandoned uranium mines throughout the United States.
- “Exxon Mobil, BP, Others Face New Climate Change Suits,” Bloomberg Law: Toxics Law Reporter (December 21, 2017). Mr. Ruskin offers a skeptical assessment of the legitimacy of using public nuisance theory against oil companies in seeking damages caused by climate change, such as rising sea levels.
- “Harvey Stokes More Superfund Liability Risk,” Bloomberg Law: Litigation (September 6, 2017). Mr. Ruskin discusses how companies face heightened environmental liability due to their release of toxic substances from hazardous waste and chemical storage sites as a result of superstorms like Katrina, Sandy and, most recently, Harvey.
- “Toxic Tort Litigation—A Primer,” New York State Bar Association (June 9, 2017)
- New Fracking Studies Not Fueling Toxic Tort Cases—Yet, Bloomberg BNA Toxics Law Reporter (November 22, 2016)
- Author: “Opportunities and Challenges: Social Media Marketing and Pharmaceuticals,” DRI – For The Defense (November 2014)
- Author: “Comcast v Behrend’s Impact on Toxic Tort Litigation,” Bloomberg BNA Toxics Law Reporter (August 7, 2014).
- Q&A with William Ruskin, Law360 (March 11, 2013)
- Author: “Shale Oil and Gas Development: The Stakeholder Perspective,” International Association of Defense Counsel Midyear Meeting (February 11, 2013).
- Genetically Modified Food Can Feed the Planet, Life Sciences Law360 (January 29, 2013)
- “Lone Pine’s Impact on Pharma Products Litigation,” Law360 (January 22, 2013).
- Where Lies the Liability? Up to Plaintiffs to Prove, Products Liability Law360 (May 10, 2012)
- Author: “Losing the “Empty Chair” at Trial,” Product Liability Law360 (April 30, 2012).
- The MTBE Multi-District Litigation: A Litigation Status Update (September 15, 2011)
- REBUTTAL: Establishing Standards And Norms In Mediation, Law360 (August 2016)
Speeches and Presentations
- “Genetically Modified Food: Will the World’s Food Supply Be Blessed or Cursed?” Moderator, International Association of Defense Counsel, 2017 Annual Meeting, Quebec City, Quebec (July 12, 2017)
- “Toxic Tort Litigation—Overview,” presented at the New York State Bar Association Seminar, “Toxic Tort Litigation 2017,” New York, NY (June 9, 2017)